ANTHONY GEMMA’S ENOUGH IS ENOUGH INITIATIVE: BILL LYNCH TOLD THREE LIES IN TEN SECONDS:
ANTHONY GEMMA’S ENOUGH IS ENOUGH INITIATIVE:
BILL LYNCH TOLD THREE LIES IN TEN SECONDS
August 19, 2010 [PROVIDENCE] Anthony Gemma, candidate for the Democratic nomination for Congress from Rhode Island’s First District, today released the following statement.
I have launched my Enough is Enough Initiative to expose attempts by candidates and other public servants to deceive or mislead voters regarding their own records and/or mine.
During the August 18th WPRO congressional debate, candidate and former State Democratic Party Chairman Bill Lynch told three lies in 10 seconds about my voting record, and he intentionally distorted my connections to the Democratic Party. Permit me to correct the record.
1. I have been a registered voter for two decades. Bill Lynch knows this to be true, yet he lied by stating that I had not registered until “a few years ago.”
2. I have voted in presidential elections, including that of 2008. Bill Lynch knows this to be true, yet he lied by stating that I “didn’t bother to vote in the last presidential election.”
3. I have supported Democratic candidates financially, and I have voted and made my voice heard on government-related matters for a decade. Bill Lynch knows this to be true, yet he lied by stating that “my only government involvement has been [my] support of Governor Carcieri.”
4. I contributed $1,000 to Governor Carcieri in 2006 to support his efforts to enforce the Separation of Powers Act that, while having been approved by an overwhelming majority of the people, still was being fought and delayed by politicians – including those who answered to Party Chairman Lynch. In that same year, as in previous years, I made sizeable donations – dwarfing that made to Carcieri – to numerous Democrats, including Congressman James Langevin and Lt. Governor Elizabeth Roberts. Bill Lynch knows this to be true, yet he willfully distorted the truth as noted above.
5. I am a Democrat in the tradition of FDR, JFK, John Fogarty, and Claiborne Pell. While until this year I was a registered unaffiliated voter, my professional and personal lives demonstrate that the political and social values of the Democratic Party are my values. They are my family’s values. Bill Lynch knows this to be true, yet he willfully distorted the truth by stating that I have been a Democrat only for “the last couple of months.”
Bill Lynch was motivated to lie about and distort my record because he could not respond honestly to the facts and question I had just posed to him, which are as follows:
For twelve years you were chair of the State Democratic Party – the ultimate political insider. Over the past eight years, you did everything in your power to keep David Cicilline in power as he wreaked destruction on Providence. Now you’re calling yourself a political outsider and calling David Cicilline a total failure. Why, Bill, did you support David Cicilline if you believe he is a failure?
I am still waiting for the answer. The people of the First District deserve an answer. The parents, the students, the unemployed, and all the taxpayers in Providence deserve an answer.
This is another example of politics as usual. It is evident that David Cicilline, Bill Lynch, and David Segal are politicians that are one in the same, and I represent the best opportunity for the First Congressional District to rid Rhode Island of its tired, old politics of the past.
Enough is enough.